Are you interested in the Internet of Things?
Are you interested in using technology for real life physical computing and social interactions?
Are you interested in promoting food security and revitalizing urban food deserts?
We are currently looking to hire the following volunteer interns:
Chief Operating Officer
As a new position, the COO role will consolidate some management, organizational development and business support oversight responsibilities at Kijani Grows that are currently split by an engineer and marketing person. Essentially, this is an opportunity to help define the role of COO at Kijani Grows and institute a long-term strategic plan and more formalized business processes to prepare the company for the next stages of growth. We’ve already created a working prototype that sells and now we’re looking to prioritize our R&D, program initiatives and marketing to bring Smart Aquaponics to the mass market. Your focus will be managing the development and productization of our automated technology, creating sales channels for our technology and driving the growth of our One School One Garden program. We are based out of Oakland, but this position will be based remotely with weekly Skype meetings.
* Coordinate the ongoing development and execution of organizational strategic objectives and goals including budget development, sales goals, manufacturing needs.
* Design individual and department goals in order to achieve overall organizational objectives.
* Perform ongoing financial and market analysis to maintain focus on optimal sales growth strategies.
* A minimum of 10 years of business experience with at least 5 years in roles of successful leadership experience in managing people and processes.
* Track record of effectively scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization.
* Graduate-level training in management, public administration, business, law, organizational development or other related field preferred.
* Interest in urban agriculture or food security issues
Front End Engineer
You’ll essentially be owning the development and appearance of our sites. First, we’re looking to give our current Kijani Grows website a makeover to focus on our new initiatives and products. Additionally, we’re looking to build microsites for each component of our One School One Garden Program to help illustrate the program data and what’s going on with the project. It sounds broad and, well, it is. As the lead of this project you’ll be able to steer this in whichever direction you think works best. Killer new ideas? Go for it. We’re all about building the optimal product to alleviate malnutrition and promote aquaponic growing.
* Work with our data team to display our data in intuitive, interesting ways.
* Develop user interfaces for our microsites of the One School One Garden Program.
* Create innovative solutions to improve the user experience and navigation.
* Experience developing the front end of consumer facing websites and applications
* Strong grasp of semantic, HTML and CSS based design.
* Experience working with stylesheets to ensure consistent display in modern.
browsers on Mac, Windows and Linux platforms, including IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.
* Experience working in Photoshop and converting PSDs into pixel-perfect web pages.
Nice to have:
* Experience working with Drupal or similar CMS.
* Interest in urban agriculture or food security issues.
We need the most immediate help in redesigning our graphics and displaying data from our pilot project in a meaningful, intuitive way. To get started for example, we’d like to provide a makeover for our real-time garden data: http://kijanigrows.com/smartAquaponics/index.html?garden=prototype
* Take our placeholder graphics and transform them into graphics that breath the data they portray.
* Create infographics or editorial illustrations of our projects that help increase public awareness.
* Help design the user interface for our soon-to-be dedicated One School One Garden site.
* Strong knowledge of design software, namely Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver).
* Color – You know what works and what doesn’t, commanding the science behind color harmony.
* BA/BS (or currently enrolled) in Visual Communications Design or similar.
* HTML, CSS, etc. experience preferred but not mandatory.
If you’re interested in applying, please send your resume and a cover letter of at least 1,000 words detailing your interest and relevant experience to Mike at email@example.com